Middlewich And Knutsford Reserves Win In Styal

By Kat McEvoy

Written by Patrick Gottlieb

Premier Division:
Plenty of League action for fans this weekend was welcome after a few weeks of multiple fixture postponements. League leaders Knutsford FC again extended their lead at the top by defeating third place Wythenshawe Town at home 3-2. It was Liam Crellin-Myers who grabbed a brace while Dean Warburton added a third for Knutsford. Billinge Firsts were run away winners as Crewe FC visited and were blown away 5-1. For Greenalls Padgate St. Oswalds it was another high scoring affair but it was the visitors, Poynton who came away with all three points when they won 4-2. Bottom of the table Denton Town continued their struggle to pick up points when they couldn't seem to get going as they visited Linotype Cheadle and lost 2-1. Altrincham Reserves and Congleton VR cancelled each other out in their one all draw. And to finish up a jam packed weekend in the league it was 12th place Rylands FC who battled their way to a 1-0 victory against a relatively in-form Malpas FC, It was Liam Lambert who got the goal for Rylands.
In the JB Parker Premier Division Challenge Cup fixture between Whaley Bridge Athletic and Eagle Sports ended with Whaley Bridge heading into the next round as the game finished 2-1.

League One:
League One was packed with League matches and with the battle at the top of the standings heating up, there were some very important results. Current Table toppers Daten FC were taken all the way by AFC Macclesfield but they just got over the line in the end as the won 3-2. Chasing Daten are Pilkington, and they are continuing to put the pressure on as they were pretty much unimpeded on their way to a 3-1 victory at third bottom side Garswood United. Lostock Gralam impressed for the second week in a row as they visited rock bottom Golborne Sports, scored three goals, and took all three points with relative ease. It was a mid-table battle between FC St. Helens and Halebank, and on the day, St. Helens came out on top as Stephen Ashton and Sam Coulter’s strikes were enough to see off Halebank, the match finished 2-1. The third side in the title race are Egerton FC, and they made sure they stayed with the pack when Mid-table team Windle Labour visited. They won 3-2, Ryan Cook’s two goals for Windle Labour were not enough in the end. Back down towards the bottom of the table, Cheadle Town Reserves fought hard for their 1-0 win over West Didsbury and Chorlton Reserves. Last but not least, Middlewich Town went to Styal to play in what was bound to be a close affair, but in the end it was Middlewich who got the better of the home team, leaving with a 1-0 victory and all three points.

League Two:
It was goals galore in League Two, and it was none other than St Helens Town Reserves that provided a thrilling 4-4 match with Blacon Youth. The result still leaves St Helens rooted to the bottom of the standings, and moved Blacon above Buxton FC Reserves and into fifth place. Broadheath Central JFC continue their pursuit of run away first place side Ford Motors as Moore United FC couldn’t put up a fight, letting Broadheath run riot, the match finished 5-1, and it could have been worse. Orford FC hosted Winstanley Warriors, and it was not a home game to remember for the Orford faithful, goals from Jimmy Demming, Mark Knowles, Elliot Morris, and Daryl Patten sealed the match for the Warriors, leaving Orford, still second bottom. Vulcan FC and Unicorn Athletic faced off in a match between two evenly matched sides on paper, with Vulcan sitting just above their visitors in the standings. But it was Vulcan who got the job done in orderly fashion with goals from Craig Ward and Philip Williams helping them to a 2-0 victory. It was another evenly matched game between Tarporley Victoria and Buxton FC Reserves, but again, it was the home side who were able to execute when it mattered, as substitute Josh Griffiths scored only moments after coming on for Tarporley, that being the only goal of the game.

Reserve Division:
It was great to see plenty of League games in the Reserve Division, with a couple of Cup fixtures thrown in for good measure. Still at the bottom of the table are Orford Reserves, and it didn't look any better for them as they were beaten 2-0 when they visited 7th place Poynton Reserves. Also in the league, Denton Town Reserves played host to a rather in form Pilkington Reserve team. It took Denton five goals (a hat-trick from Gage Rothwell, and two more goals from Jack Cope) to seal all three points in an eight goal, end to end match. Knutsford Reserves did very well to come away from their trip to Styal with a 2-1 win, moving them into the top three. A clash in the middle of the table ended the league action. Linotype-Cheadle Reserves swept aside Greenalls Padgate St Oswalds Res with an impressive display that ended 4-1 to Linotype.
Two Cup matches from two different competitions gave us more entertaining games to enjoy. Middlewich Town Reserves and Eagle Sports Reserves played out an eventful tie in the Reserve Division Challenge Cup. It was Middlewich who took the lead first through Matthew Cann, and took their one goal lead into half time. Eagle Sports fought their way back with goals from Ben White and Adam Deakin, the match ended 2-1 with Eagle Sports moving on in the cup. Elsewhere, in the 3rd Round of the Northern Cup, it was away team, and league leaders Rylands Reserves who came away 2-1 winners after their visit to Goose Green.

Where next?

LEAGUE STATEMENT The "Beast From The East" Hits Home!

The Hallmark Security Cheshire Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.