Round Up 24 August

By Rob Goodwin-Davey

Leaders Congleton held by Knutsford, Styal make it five in five and Mersey Valley hit twelve past Hartford

This weekend’s round of games began on Friday night double header in the Premier Division which saw Eagle and Greenalls run out victorious over Lostock and Altrincham respectively.
Eagle fired six past the grey lambs who were playing their second game in three days; Burthem, Waldron, Fitzpatrick (2) and Lockett (2) punished the hosts’ tired legs.
Meanwhile Greenalls travelled to Altrincham, who had won their previous two, and put an end to a run of three games without a win edging out the home side by two goals to one in a game which featured as many red cards as goals; one for Alty and two for the visitors who managed to hold on for all three points.
On to Saturday and the league leaders whose 100% record was ended by a resilient Knutsford side. Congleton had been looking to make it five wins from five but the two sides drew a blank in the league’s first goalless draw of the season.
Jamie Kay picked up his first three points as Whaley Bridge manager with a 1-0 win at Billinge, Jason Walley’s 20 yarder enough to seal the points.
Egerton moved off the bottom of the table with a 5-3 away victory over the previously unbeaten Blacon Youth Club.
Doubles from Alfie Davies and Douglas Pringle and another from Darius Junior Osei earned Egerton their long awaited victory.
Poynton bounced back from their midweek defeat to Crewe with a 3-2 win over Broadheath Central, James Manson, Greg Mathers and Carl McCurrie with the goals. Broadheath are now without a win since the opening day of the season.
In the day’s other Premier Division fixture Crewe continued their impressive for with a second successive 4-0 victory this time over Daten who now sit second from bottom with just one win from their opening six games.
Unsurprisingly the goals were contributed by the league’s two top scorers, Nathan Southern grabbed his ninth of the season while Matty Birchall’s hat-trick took him to seven for the campaign.
Crewe sit third, one place and three points ahead of Blacon Youth who they face on Wednesday evening.
Middlewich, who didn’t play this weekend, find themselves bottom after being leapfrogged by Egerton.
In League One Styal won again to extend their lead at the top of the table to five points; goals from Markell Bennett and Matt Clarke were enough to earn them victory over Ford Motors by the odd goal in three.
Ashton Athletic moved up to fifth after hitting seven past Malpas in an entertaining game in which the visitor’s Lee Parry ended up on the losing side despite scoring three of his side’s four goals.
It was a day of mixed fortunes for the league’s two Cheadle sides. Nomads lost 4-3 at home to Garswood - Atkins(2), Clarke and Robinson with the visitor’s goals – while Cheadle Town reserves beat Cuddington 1-0 thanks to a goal from Shaquille Lewys.
Denton’s mixed start to the season continued as they shipped five at home to Vulcan FC, Crowe, Plant, Walker, Woods and Crook with the goals for the visitors.
Winstanley lost ground on Styal at the top of the league through no fault of their own as their game against Orford was postponed; their next game is against in form Garswood on Tuesday evening.
In League Two Mersey Valley romped to victory over Hartford to take a three point lead at the top of the table.
Their 12 goals in this game means that, after three matches, they are averaging 7.5 goals per game.
James Russell, Reece Thompson, Ben Wild and Tom Miller all grabbed braces b but it was substitute James Kennedy who stole the show with a hat-trick from the bench. Matt Christie netted the other goal on a miserable afternoon for Hartford.
St Helens Town reserves are still waiting for their first point of the season as they fell to a 4-2 defeat at home to Sandbach United’s second string despite a James Barron brace.
Knowsley South’s unbeaten start to the season came to an end against Newton Athletic who took all three points in a 2-0 thanks to second half strikes from Lewis Davenport and substitute Danny Eaton.
The day’s fourth and final game saw Winnington Avenue live up to their name with a 4-2 victory at Golborne Sports.
Golborne took a 2-1 lead into the interval but a second half double from Craig Humphries after Ross Collins had restored parity was enough to earn Avenue their first win of the season.

Dan Whelan
CFL Press Officer

The Hallmark Security Cheshire Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.